Case

Saturday, March 21, 2009
I had a few ideas on how I wanted to make the case. Originally I wanted to vacuum form it and make a wood mold with rounded edges to make it look nice. But I didn't do that. I went to home depot again and bought a sheet of acrylic. This method worked well for me. I got some more of the Insta-set but this time I got Maxi-cure. It had a slightly longer cure time then the stuff I used on my portable and it was a little cheaper. But I must say that I do not like it as much as the stuff I used on my portable.

The dimensions for my case are 13.5" x 11" x 2". Not bad I thought for having the GD drive and the screen resting on top of that! I cut out the pieces with a 10 inch table saw this time with a 200 tooth blade. It worked very well and I got very straight clean cuts.

From Dreamcast Laptop


I glued all the pieces together and got the bottom part of the case assembled. To make sure that my pieces were perpendicular to each other I took a piece of wood and used it to hold my pieces against.

From Dreamcast Laptop


From Dreamcast Laptop


After the case was assembled it was time to make the holes all of the ports, GD drive and the volume knob. I used my dremel with a cutting disc to cut out the GD drive hole and then used a file to make sure I had nice straight lines.

From Dreamcast Laptop


The power switch, and AV/monitor switch I used my dremel and then used a small file to ensure straightness. For the volume I used the hole saw again. The rest of the ports I used a drill. As well as for the speaker holes and I used perf board as a templet as many others do.

After everything was set i began to paint. It is now black instead of clear.

From Dreamcast Laptop

0 comments:

Post a Comment