GD Drive

Wednesday, February 4, 2009
Ok so after I got the CD-Drive working I needed a way to mount the GD-Rom onto the CD-Drive tray. At first my thought was to mount it underneath which would keep the thickness down. Unfortunately as I was thinking about this I decided that this was probably not the best idea because the method in mounting it to the CD tray was using glue. So If someone was a little frustrated they could push too hard and could possibly push the drive off the tray. It would also cause me to have to remove one of the major support beams that connect both sides of the drive mechanism. If I went this method I would have to cut that off and then reinforce it in another way.

So then I thought about placing it on top of the tray. Obviously it wouldn't fit but that is where my good friend the Dremel comes in. I put a disc on my GD-Rom and made a rough trace of it and put it on top of the tray and commenced to dremel. Here was my final product.

From Dreamcast Laptop
CD-Tray cut out.

From Dreamcast Laptop
With the GD-Rom on it.

From Dreamcast Laptop
GD-Rom and CD

I decided to go this route because it would be less of a hassle. More structurally sound, and it didn't add very much height to the system.

0 comments:

Post a Comment